Thursday, February 17, 2011

Concert= Success!!!

Oh boy.

Okay first off, it is 12:40ish in the am.  That may not seem real late, but it kinda is.  So, from here on out, any spelling, grammatical, or any other mistakes (including and ESPECIALLY cussing) is due to the booze.

Evan is asleep so I will try to type softly.....

 
Well the trip down to cincy was pretty enjoyable.  I packed some mini Marker's Mark bottles for the trip and tried my hardest to wait as long as I could before indulging. 

That lasted about 40 mins.

I had packed 6 mini (2 oz) bottles of the Mark, you know the kind they give on airplanes.  Well my flight was the Ishida 747 and I was ready to start this mini-vacay.  I knew this would be a fun trip just based on the ride down.  We rocked out to a mix of Girl Talk, an XX/Biggie mash up and I even talked Evan into listening to (what I think) is maybe on of the greatest motivational songs of all time--Win In the End

(I don't know why I can't embed this video, but do yourself a HUGE favor and click on the link)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/30sYk9B4OqU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

About 2 mins from the venue we stop for gas.  I wouldn't say I was drunk at this point but....

Verbatim, this is what I wrote in my notebook:
    "Holy Fuck.  I think I'm drunk.  The worst part is it's all on mini bottles of Marker's Mark.  I wonder if I can go this whole trip JUST drinking bourbon?  Evan says no.  And you know it's probably not a good idea to even try,  Evan is washing his windows.  I have to pee.  Bad.  Eight shots of bourbon in under 2 hrs.  Evan says the car smells like shit!"

In hindsight the car did smell like shit.  And you know why?  Because I accidently spilled half of one of those mini bourbon bottles on me.  sucks to suck.

I need to wrap this up, I'm fading.

Okay, I could probably use some flowery language and some metephors and a whole bunch of writers' tricks, but the bottom line is I was border-line harrassing the Frightened Rabbit lead singer (aka Scott Huchison).  I can't remember the EXACT conversation, but I think it had a lot to do with me saying how awesome his songs are.  her's a fairly accurate sample:

Me:  I love your songs.
Scott:  Thanks.
Me:  I'm the one who yelled for you to play "It's Christmas so We'll Stop".
Scott: oh yeah, well I haven't played that in a while.
Me:  You should.  It's fucking awesome.
Scott: oh Thanks.
Me: I'd say it's like your 4th best song.  Hey, I'm sorry, I'm drunk (kinda) on bourbon.
Scott: no problem.
Me: Here ...(I give him my last mini Maker's Mark bottle)..you.....you've earned it.
Scott: oh, thank you.
The rest of the conversation consisted of me telling him to bring the band to columbus to play.

Oh, and Josh Ritter was pretty amazing too.  Evan had one complaint--he smiled too much.  Granted he did smile a lot but not enough for me to be put off by it.  Best song---Girl  In The War:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BdobffvLPPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All in all, a fantastic concert.  Oh, I think I also bought like $60 of merch but I can't remember what I got...

Here is a picture with me, Evan, and Scott Hutchison and his brother Grant (also in Frightened Rabbitt)

Guess who the drunk one is?

After the show we called up my brother for directions to the nearest Skyline.  We got lost.  We ended up at a Gold Star.  Again, an excerpt from my notebook:

Fuck Me.  In line at Gold Star.  We love chili dogs.  I think I love them more than Evan because I ordered more.  Gave my last bottle of mini-Maker's to Scott Hutchison.  I'm kinda regretting it now.  Evan is regretting it too.  Niether of us know if wer're in OH or KY right now.  I need to pee.  To take my mind off that I think I'll text some people...

If sent you a text---sorry.


Just set my alarm for 6:15am.  Man I hope I get up.  I have hot date with the Woodford Reserve Distillery in 8 hrs.

later.


6 comments:

  1. AC snored all night long so loudly and without any form of a pattern making it nearly impossible to sleep.

    Oh and yes, he definitely scared the band members. At one point some other fan came up to talk to those guys and ac stuck his finger in a pointing position to the brother in front of the fan and said, "COLUMUBUS!" then nodded and said again..."COLUMBUS"....and I got him out of there.

    For the record, I did not drink bourbon while driving. I had 1 5 Hour Energy Drink and that was it. AC smelled like a distillery.

    glad he had fun. The show was great. Ritter was creepy



    It's 7:15 AM wheels up. Time to roll out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of things.

    1. Evan, the line "glad he had fun" makes it seem like you were babysitting AC. Was this the case? How bad was it?

    2. The Band's reaction to AC.

    I can just imagine what was going through their head when AC was flirting with them all night.

    "My god, when we got into music I dreamed of having hot ladies coming up to me and telling me how great I am, or how great this song was...instead we have fans like this guy. Our fans are guys who look like they live in their parent's basement and listen to our music coming off a cheap vodka buzz while strumming a guitar aimlessly.

    How did this happen? What did we do?"

    You can't tell me that this wasn't what was going through this poor guys head. That and "I'm not going to drink this" right after AC gave him his mini bottle of makers. Seriously AC, what were you thinking? You know he wasn't going to drink that? Would you drink something that some weird guy at the Vous gives you?

    But the bigger question is do all bands/artist go through this phase of their careers?

    And by this phase I mean having the AC's of the world fawn over them instead of nice looking young ladies?

    I'm guessing so judging by the photo that AC and Evan have with John Mayer.

    Phases to being a star:

    1. Playing coffee shops/bars - fans: parents, close friends, random people who just want to get a coffee

    2. Playing bars with cover charge - fans: parents, close friends, 21-25 year olds who are wasted.

    3. Playing small venues - fans: people who know your music but are music nerds...that's it. (this is what Evan and AC were at)

    4. Playing mid-level venues - fans: people who know your music and people who have heard you are good, this is the first stage of groupies showing up...but they aren't all that hot. (the Howie Day's of the world)

    5. Playing larger venues - fans: this is when you've made it. Groupies galore, people who have heard you on the radio...and no music nerds because they dropped you because you are too popular and they have moved on to the next independent band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't feel defeated, Little Buddy. Eric Soloman loves when you pine over him when he plays gigs at MyBar. its like puting gasoline in an engine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and please don't mouth rape the Colonel

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh derek, While I don't doubt I was drunk talking to Scott, he DID drink the mini bottle.

    Furthermore, since you are not someone who is musically inclined (or artistic even at a lowly level) I will clue you in on something...Praise is Praise, you'll take it where you can get it. OF COURSE, every artist wants as you call it "hot ladies" gushing all over them, but there's not one musician/artist that doesn't like hearing they are great at something. It could be Osama coming up after a show saying, "the encore was unbelieveable..." and the band would love it.

    However, I do agree with your fame-level breakdown.

    Other than driving me safley to my brother's house, Evan did NOT have to babysit me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoops, under Evan's ID, that last post was from me---ANDREWQW

    ReplyDelete